Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Trippin' in Vintage style

Howdy! It’s Linda here with my first Globecraft Memories Design Team tutorial! 

I decided to make a triptych for my first project using heritage photos of my family. I was going for the look of leather and I was easily able to achieve that look. Here’s how I did it:

I used three Classic Traditional Rectangle Bubble Frames from Globecraft Memories. I opted not to add the top frame layer nor the stand. 

Other supplies include:

I started by dry embossing the second, or middle frames, with my clock texture fade in my Vagabond. After embossing all three I quickly painted with a coat of yellow ochre (I don’t do anything precisely). I did use a brush for this but all remaining painting is done with fingers. The acrylic paint dries quickly so after finishing the first coat on the third frame you can finger paint a coat of burnt umber on your first frame. Take a damp soft cloth or paper towel and wipe away most of the burnt umber leaving it to settle in the creases.


Depending on the look you want to achieve you may repeat this process two or more times if necessary. I wanted a bit more highlights so randomly finger painted a very light coat of titanium white and wiped most of it away, leaving just a hint of white here and there. I also painted the outer inch or so of the back frames in the same manner, and then stamped them randomly with several background stamps using Coffee Archival Ink to add some texture and depth.


I always like to add a pop of color somewhere in my work so these little chipboard charms by Globecraft were simply perfect! I melted a layer or two of Poodle Skirt Piccolo Enamel Powder on both butterfly pieces. By the way, if you are ever concerned about inking your pieces properly to get your enamels to stick well, you’ll want to definitely get your hands on Globecraft’s embossing powder adhesive. This stuff comes in a dabber applicator bottle so you can easily coat your piece so your enamel powders stick every time! I love this stuff!


With all pieces dry it’s time for assembly. I cut my photos to fit just outside the globe bubble and adhered them to the back frame layer with a very thin line of Glastiquearound the outer edge. 

I pierced a hole and attached a hitch fastener to the one photo frame over some scraps of paper and tissue tape and hung some distressed charms from it – like a doorknob. That’s what so much fun about using these globes – you can add dimensional items inside the bubble! I added the layered enameled butterflies to one of the other frames by popping it up a bit.


For assembly I ran a thin line of Glastique around the outer lip of the globe and laid it in place. Then I ran a thin line of Glastique around the inside of the top frame on the inner and outer edges and secured them with binder clips and clothespins till set. I then took my thin blade and sliced an opening on each frame to insert filmstrip ribbon as hinges. Popped up the horse charm that I painted with the same paint colors, added a painted heart and glued it in place. I added a few more embellies to finish it off. What do you think?

Posted by Linda Neff


6 comments:

Ryann Salamon said...

This is gorgeous, Linda!!

Michelle said...

Wow.....I have no words. I love your work ♥

candyspiegel said...

I absolutely love this!

candyspiegel said...

This is absolutely amazing!

Jamie Lane [Cripps] said...

Beautiful!

Stacy said...

Wow!! Linda this is amazing!